Pages

01 May, 2011

Run for the Wild 5K

This weekend the Morrissey family participated in our very first 5K!  Run for the Wild at the Bronx Zoo which was designed to raise money for the Penguins. While Daddy pushed Jacob and Elijah in a stroller (which I believe was just as much work if not more than running) and Leia walked, I ran it!  I have been working on running since the beginning of the year.  I started with getting a treadmill and doing the Couch to 5K program, which I suggest to any one who has not ran in a long time or ever. Once I completed that the weather started to warm up enough to be able to run outside which was perfect since I was up to longer distances.  Chris and I have since signed up for the Disney's Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon so now my training has been extended to a 1/2 marathon!  The Run for the Wild came at a perfect time in my training, I have been running 3 miles for awhile now but this was great because it pushed me to get my time up, running with a group of people motivates you to "keep up".  I completed it in 31 mins which is 3 mins better than my best time to date, go me:)  As a team we raised 300 dollars, I am so proud of my kids for doing this, it is so important to teach kids about health and fitness and charity, and all that the same time is just bonus! 
Here's to many more races as a family and as individuals.  Just another way we are living our lives to the fullest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment